Where we are

CJ India

The history of the CJ Foundation in India in 1853 is intertwined with the history of the Munich foundation, as it was a response to the plea of the Bishop of the city to send missionaries to India. They did their first foundation in Bankipore (Patna), considered the mother house of the Institute in India.

From the mid-20th century, Indian candidates joined the CJ and, as numbers grew, the Provincial house and noviceship were set up in Allahabad. In 1991 Patna was established as a separate province. Today, they are divided into three provinces and one region: Delhi, Allahabad and Patna Provinces, and the Region of Bangalore. The main ministry of the provinces continues to be education, especially schools for girls both fee-and non-fee paying. More recently social ministries -such as social work and pastoral care- have developed along with new spiritual ministries.

From Patna, they founded the first house in 1866. From there, the sisters have spread out across India founding new communities and new schools for girls. Allahabad became the provincial house in 1958. Since then, houses of the province have been repeatedly re-organised into new province units as the numbers of sisters have increased. The Delhi Province came into existence in 2007, and the Region of Bangalore started in 2010, formed out of houses in the south and west of India.

 

Sisters of the CJ Bangalore Region

Bangalore region: 

 The CJ Region of Bangalore came into existence in 2010. It has been formed out of houses in the south and west of India and includes communities in the states of: Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. The main ministry here is school-based primary and secondary education, and pastoral care.

To know more: http://www.cjblore.org/

 

Allahabad Province: 

Sisters of the CJ Allahabad region

The first CJ house in Allahabad was founded from Patna in 1866. From there the sisters have spread out across India founding new communities and new schools for girls. Allahabad became the provincial house in 1958. Since then houses of the province have been repeatedly re-organised into new province units as the numbers of sisters have increased.

The main ministry of the province continues to be education, especially schools for girls both fee- and non-fee paying. More recently social ministries have developed along with new spiritual ministries.

To know more: http://www.cjallahabad.org

 

Delhi Province: 

The Delhi Province came into existence in 2007 as a result of a re-organization of the CJ communities in central-northwest India. There are CJ houses in the states of Delhi, Haryana, Uttarakhand, Uttar Pradesh and Rajasthan.

The oldest house and school in the province is at Nainital in the foothills of the Himalayas. The most recent foundation is at Jajjhar, in Haryana State. The ministries of the province are education, health care, social work and pastoral care

 

 

Patna Province:

Patna was the first mission of the CJ in India. In the mid-19th century the then Bishop of Patna, Anastasius Hartmann, invited our sisters in Munich-Nyphenburg to found in India. A small group of German sisters set out travelling by boat, and then by bullock cart across the north India plains, to reach Patna.

A school was soon opened, and shortly afterwards mission stations were set up in the Santhal region.   From the mid-20th century Indian candidates mostly from Kerala moved northwards to join the CJ, and as numbers grew the Provincial house and noviceship were set up in Allahabad. In 1991 Patna was established as a separate province. The sisters of the province are involved in education, health care, social work, and spiritual ministries.

Where we are

CJ Mozambique

CJ Myanmar

CJ General House, Rome

CJ Nepal

CJ Ukraine

CJ Slovakia

CJ Zimbabwe

CJ Mongolia

CJ in Philippines

CJ Romania

CJ Italy

CJ Hungary

CJ in South Tyrol

CJ Germany

CJ Czech Republic

CJ Austria

CJ South Korea

CJ Cuba

CJ Chile

CJ Brazil

CJ India

CJ Argentina

CJ England

CJ Spain